26 7th Street
San Francisco, CA 94103
"My daughter has always loved dance, but from the intense, encouraging, and specifically passionate teachers from LINES this last weekend, she has experienced an even greater joy in her dance. Her regular ballet teacher called me today just to let me know that she had noticed a change in my daughter’s dancing in class this week—an inner strength and beauty that projected outward that seemed to rise above anything else she has ever done in class." Parent of a Discovery Project dancer
The Alonzo King LINES Ballet Discovery Project is an outreach program designed to diversify the scope of LINES Ballet’s impact on young artists and communities nationwide. The program was initiated in 2008 with an inaugural project in Santa Fe, New Mexico. Since that first successful project, former Summer Program Director Shirin Keyani-Rose has broadened the impact of these projects to include locations as diverse as St. Petersburg and Tampa, Florida; Kansas City, MO; and more.
We collaborate with host communities and fellow dance educators to provide young artists with three-to-five day intensive workshops in their own communities. These workshops are conducted by Alonzo King LINES Ballet faculty members and target dancers ages 13 and up, of an intermediate to advanced level. All Discovery Projects are offered to dancers at a minimal cost of $50.
The Discovery Project addresses ways to use dance to bridge gaps created by diversity of experience, perspective, culture, and socioeconomic background. We aim to contribute to the overall awareness and support of dance in communities all over the country.
• Ballet, Pointe, Men’s Technique, Pas de deux, Modern, Improvisation,
Variations/LINES Ballet Repertoire
• Be considered for one full-scholarship for the LINES Ballet Summer Program
• Tammy Cheney- Summer Program Director, formerly ODC San Francisco
• Karah Abiog- Training Program Director, formerly Complexions Contemporary Ballet Company
• Arturo Fernandez- Company Ballet Master, former Company member
• Maurya Kerr- Former Company member
• Shirin Keyani-Rose- Former Company member
• LeeWei Chao- Formerly Joffrey Ballet and Milwaukee Ballet
• Duncan Cooper- Formerly San Francisco Ballet and Dance Theater of Harlem
• Prince Credell- Former Company member
• Kara Davis- Kunst-Stoff and Project Agora
• Laurel Keen- Former Company member
• Carmen Rozestraten - Former Company member
• Keelan Whitmore- Former Company member
*Classes and faculty will vary by location
If you are interested being a Host community and/or Host School for the Alonzo King LINES Ballet Discovery Project, please contact Summer Program, 415.863.3040 x248.